Answer True (T) or False (F) and explain the basis for the correct
(Answers and Discussion)
- God made covenants with animals just as with people.
- Only humans go to Heaven.
- Hunting for sport is permissible as long as the animals have a "sporting
- Rebecca was chosen to be Isaac's wife because she gave water to some thirsty camels.
- Rabbi Judah suffered from a toothache for thirteen years because he ignored a calf's plea
for help, but his health was restored when he prevented his daughter from
family of weasels.
- Any animal that kills a human should be put to death immediately.
- A person who was a spectator at gladiatorial games was only condemned if the games
- A person who is noble, polite, sensible, learned, and orthodox may be considered
righteous even though he or she is cruel to animals.
- Noah was called righteous because he spent an entire year caring for animals in the Ark.
- Since humans are given dominion over the animals, we can subordinate all their needs to
- When an animal is slaughtered for food, the blood of the animal or bird is covered to
indicate that killing is a shameful act.
- Animal sacrifices are considered worthy deeds.
- It is important to muzzle oxen when they are threshing corn.
- It is forbidden to tie the legs of a beast or of a bird in a manner that would cause
- Although a blessing is said when new clothes are worn, the blessing may not be said if
the clothes are made of fur or leather, for you have killed to get them.
- There is a special blessing only for fruit, vegetables, bread, and wine, but not for meat
- Animals are to be fed and watered only after humans have finished eating.
- Only humans are required to rest on the Sabbath. Animals can work on the Sabbath as long
as it is for a non-Jew.
- The first diet of humans and animals was vegetarian, and one day we will all be
vegetarians once again.
- You should help an animal in distress only if you don't have to violate the Sabbath or
interrupt the carrying out of a commandment do so.
- You are not permitted to wear leather shoes on Yom Kipper because you can't ask for
compassion for yourself if you haven't shown it to others.
- God chose Moses and David as leaders of their people because of their compassion for